Gennaro _ Gattuso

 


“I used to go to the port to catch fish, and then, as usual, I would go to the tavern near the port to sell it to some sheikhs who were playing cards.. My best customer was my grandfather??

My father was my first inspiration, he used to play in Schiavonea, the city team, as a striker, and the whole family loved football, even fanatical...
My father joined the ranks of Corigliano, the rival of our city team Schiavonea, and the team that my grandfather supported ...

When the day of the derby came, my grandfather took me with him to watch the match. I sat with him behind the goal, which was very close to the stand. Throughout the match, my grandfather did nothing but insult his son who was playing against his city’s team. He was shouting and saying:

"You traitor...the bastard...I sold your flesh"

Then he turned to the referee and said to him:

"Oh, the owner of the black shirt.. Get rid of this person who sold his meat. I'm not kidding."
My grandfather was crazy, and my father had to listen and shut up, he had a big heart... And here I got the passion for football, I put my training items in my father's bag that smelled of camphor oil, and I went to play ball with the boys, and I started imagining my future, I dreamed that I  One day I will be a footballer, while I imagine myself running around the San Siro wearing my AC Milan shirt.

Believe me, dreams can come true when the desire is strong, and to become a footballer you have to grow up in that climate... If one is born square, one will not die round."

[Gennaro _ Gattuso]

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post